A Definitive Guide to Apache ShardingSphere: Transform any DBMS into a distributed database with sharding, scaling, encryption features, and more
Become well versed with all of ShardingSphere’s features for every data management need with this comprehensive guide put together by ShardingSphere’s founder and core contributors
- Understand the core concepts and efficiently set up Apache ShardingSphere
- Enhance existing databases with sharding, elastic scaling, encryption, governance features, and more
- Import and customize the ecosystem’s core features for various application scenarios
Apache ShardingSphere is a new open source ecosystem for distributed data infrastructures based on pluggability and cloud-native principles that helps enhance your database.
This book begins with a quick overview of the main challenges faced by database management systems (DBMSs) in production environments, followed by a brief introduction to the software’s kernel concept. After that, using real-world examples of distributed database solutions, elastic scaling, DistSQL, synthetic monitoring, database gateways, and SQL authority and user authentication, you’ll fully understand ShardingSphere’s architectural components, how they’re configured and can be plugged into your existing infrastructure, and how to manage your data and applications. You’ll also explore ShardingSphere-JDBC and ShardingSphere-Proxy, the ecosystem’s clients, and how they can work either concurrently or independently to address your needs. You’ll then learn how to customize the plugin platform to define personalized user strategies and manage multiple configurations seamlessly. Finally, the book enables you to get up and running with functional and performance tests for all scenarios.
By the end of this book, you’ll be able to build and deploy a customized version of ShardingSphere, addressing the key pain points encountered in your data management infrastructure.
What you will learn
- Assemble a custom solution using the software’s pluggable architecture
- Discover how to use Database Plus features effectively
- Understand the difference between ShardingSphere-JDBC and ShardingSphere-Proxy
- Get to grips with ShardingSphere’s pluggability mechanism
- Explore mainstream test models for databases and distributed databases
- Perform migrations from an on-premise database to a cloud-based database
- Reconfigure your data infrastructure and eliminate switching costs
Who this book is for
This book is for database administrators working with distributed database solutions who are looking to explore the capabilities of Apache ShardingSphere. DBAs looking for more capable, flexible, and cost-effective alternatives to the solutions they’re currently utilizing will also find this book helpful. To get started with this book, a basic understanding of, or even an interest in, databases, relational databases, SQL languages, cloud computing, and data management in general is needed.