Beginning iOS Game Center and Game Kit shows you how to use Game Center and Game Kit to create fun and polished games that use advanced features such as social networking and voice over IP (VoIP). Game Kit and Game Center can help you reach new customers through social interaction, so this book shows you how you can quickly add a level of polish to your app that used to take weeks of hard work and late nights.
Implementing a leaderboard and achievement system has never been so simple! Gone are the days of writing your own server. You’ll also see how to easily add advanced networking concepts like VoIP support in hours, not days.
Learn how to quickly implement many advanced social networking concepts into your apps. You’ll be guided through the process of creating a custom Game Center Manager class that can be rapidly deployed into any of your new or existing projects. Furthermore, learn how to avoid pitfalls commonly encountered by new Game Center developers.
What you’ll learn
- What Game Center and Game Kit are and how you can improve your app by using them
- How to configure your app with iTunes Connect to work with Game Center
- How to set up leaderboard and achievement systems for use within your app
- How to add a custom graphical user interface to Game Center to match the look and feel of your product
- What multiplayer and networking does to your app through Game Kit
- How to write an easy-to-implement and reusable Game Center Manager
Who this book is for
All iOS developers who want to easily bring their current or planned app to the next level. Game Center and Game Kit, despite the name, are not limited only to games—all iOS developers with a basic understanding of Cocoa and UIKit will find something useful in these APIs. They allow even a novice iOS developer to add an amazing level of polish to their apps with a minimal amount of effort.
Table of Contents
1 – Introduction
2 – First Steps
3 – Leaderboards
4 – Achievements
5 – Matchmaking
6 – Peer Picker
7 – Networking Overview
8 – Exchanging Data
9 – Turned Based Gaming
10 – Voice Chat
11 – In-game Payments