Beginning Windows Phone 7 Development, 2nd Edition
- Length: 512 pages
- Edition: 2
- Language: English
- Publisher: Apress
- Publication Date: 2011-06-14
- ISBN-10: 1430235969
- ISBN-13: 9781430235965
- Sales Rank: #10301627 (See Top 100 Books)
Microsoft’s Windows Phone 7 handsets have injected a new vibrancy into the smartphone marketplace and provided bold new opportunities for the Microsoft development community.
Now in its second edition, Beginning Windows Phone 7 Development has been written to help you identify those opportunities and to learn the skills you’ll need to harness them. It covers the very latest developments in the field, including the extended APIs offered in Microsoft’s automatic platform update, so you’ll have timely, accurate information at your fingertips.
Beginning Windows Phone 7 Development, Second Edition starts with the basics, walking you through the process of downloading and setting up the right development tools, including Visual Studio, Expression Blend, Silverlight SDK, and Windows Phone SDK. It then takes you step-by-step though the development process as you build and deploy a working application, complete with a sophisticated user interface. Finally, you’ll receive step-by-step instructions on selling your applications through the Windows Phone Marketplace.
What you’ll learn
- How to create effective networked applications
- How to leverage your phone’s GPS capabilities from within your application
- How to interact with the phone’s built-in functionalities (camera, contacts, maps, accelerometer, video and web browser to name but a few)
- How to construct highly graphical and responsive user interfaces quickly and easily using these features
- How to package and distribute your applications for both personal distribution and commercial sale via the Windows Phone Marketplace
Who this book is for
This book is for anyone interested in developing applications for the Windows Phone 7. You might be an existing .NET developer looking for a new creative angle, or perhaps an iPhone or Android developer looking for a new opportunity.
If you have an understanding of basic .NET coding practices, then this book is for you.
Table of Contents
- Introducing Windows Phone 7 and the Windows Phone Platform
- Building Windows Phone 7 Applications
- Using Cloud Services As Data Stores
- Catching and Debugging Errors
- Packaging, Publishing, and Managing Applications
- Working with the Accelerometer
- Application Bar
- WebBrowser Control
- Working with Controls and Themes
- Integrating Applications with the Windows Phone OS
- Creating Trial Applications
- Isolated Storage
- Using Location Services
- Working with the Camera and Photos
- Push Notifications
- Reactive Extensions for .NET