Building Microservices with Micronaut: A quick-start guide to building high-performance reactive microservices for Java developers
Explore different aspects of building modular microservices such as development, testing, maintenance, and deployment using the Micronaut framework
- Learn how to build scalable, fast, and resilient microservices with this concise guide
- Explore the many advantages of using reflection-free, compile-time dependency injections and aspect-oriented programming
- Build cloud-native applications easily with the Micronaut framework
The Micronaut® open source software is a JVM-based framework, designed to create microservices quickly and easily. This book will help full-stack and Java developers to build modular, high-performing, and reactive microservice-based apps using Micronaut.
You’ll start by building microservices and learning about the core components of Micronaut, such as ahead-of-time compilation, reflection-less dependency injection, and reactive baked-in HTTP clients and servers. Next, you will work on a real-time microservice application and learn how to integrate Micronaut with different kinds of relational and non-relational databases. You’ll also learn how to employ different security mechanisms to safeguard your microservices and integrate microservices using event-driven architecture in the Apache Kafka ecosystem. As you advance, you’ll get to grips with automated testing and popular testing tools. The book will help you understand how you can easily handle microservice concerns in the Micronaut framework, such as service discovery, API documentation, distributed configuration management, fallbacks, and circuit breakers. Finally, you’ll explore the deployment and maintenance aspects of microservices and get up to speed with the Internet of Things (IoT) using Micronaut.
By the end of this book, you’ll be able to build, test, deploy, and maintain your own microservice apps using Micronaut.
What you will learn
- Understand why Micronaut is best suited for building microservices
- Build web endpoints and services in the Micronaut framework
- Safeguard microservices using Session, JWT, and OAuth in Micronaut
- Get to grips with event-driven architecture in Micronaut
- Discover how to automate testing at various levels using built-in tools and testing frameworks
- Deploy your microservices to containers and cloud platforms
- Become well-versed with distributed logging, tracing, and monitoring in Micronaut
- Get hands-on with the IoT using Alexa and Micronaut
Who this book is for
This book is for developers who have been building microservices on traditional frameworks such as Spring Boot and are looking for a faster alternative. Intermediate-level knowledge of Java programming and implementing web services development in Java is required.
Table of Contents
- Getting Started with Microservices Using the Micronaut Framework
- Working on Data Access
- Working on the RESTful Web Services
- Securing the Microservices
- Integrating Microservices using the Event-Driven Architecture
- Testing the Microservices
- Handling Microservice Concerns
- Deploying Microservices
- Distributed logging, tracing and monitoring
- IoT with Micronaut
- Building enterprise grade microservices