Containers for Developers Handbook: A practical guide to developing and delivering applications using software containers
Effortlessly create and manage complex multi-component applications based on Docker containers
- Gain a clear understanding of software containers from the SecDevOps perspective
- Master the construction of application pieces within containers to achieve a seamless life cycle
- Prepare your applications to run smoothly and with ease in complex container orchestrators
- Purchase of the print or Kindle book includes a free PDF eBook
Developers are changing their deployment artifacts from application binaries to container images, giving rise to the need to build container-based apps as part of their new development workflow. Managing an app’s life cycle is complex and requires effort—this book will show you how to efficiently develop, share, and execute applications.
You’ll learn how to automate the build and delivery process using CI/CD tools with containers as container orchestrators manage the complexity of running cluster-wide applications, creating infrastructure abstraction layers, while your applications run with high availability, resilience, and persistence. As you advance, you’ll develop, test, and debug applications on your desktop and get them ready to run in production with optimal security standards, using deployment patterns and monitoring tools to help identify common issues. You’ll also review deployment patterns that’ll enable you to solve common deployment problems, providing high availability, scalability, and security to your applications. Finally, you’ll explore different solutions to monitor, log, and instrument your applications as per open-source community standards.
By the end of this book, you’ll be able to manage your app’s life cycle by implementing CI/CD workflows using containers to automate the building and delivery of its components.
What you will learn
- Find out how to build microservices-based applications using containers
- Deploy your processes within containers using Docker features
- Orchestrate multi-component applications on standalone servers
- Deploy applications cluster-wide in container orchestrators
- Solve common deployment problems such as persistency or app exposure using best practices
- Review your application’s health and debug it using open-source tools
- Discover how to orchestrate CI/CD workflows using containers
Who this book is for
This book is for developers and DevOps engineers looking to learn about the implementation of containers in application development, especially DevOps engineers who deploy, monitor, and maintain container-based applications running on orchestrated platforms. In general, this book is for IT professionals who want to understand Docker container-based applications and their deployment. A basic understanding of coding and frontend-backend architectures is needed to follow the examples presented in this book.