Creating an RTS Game in Unity 2023: A comprehensive guide to creating your own strategy game from scratch using C#
Build real-time strategy (RTS) games using Unity with practical techniques, best coding practices, and popular design patterns
- Learn how to implement game architecture and gameplay features
- Explore unit actions, resource management, physics simulations, and audiovisual enhancements to boost player engagement
- Discover RTS mechanics such as implementing melee/ranged battles, unit spawning, dynamic maps, pathfinding, and more
- Purchase of the print or Kindle book includes a free PDF eBook
Building a successful real-time strategy game is challenging, because of both the complex mechanics and the need to strike a balance between different elements, ensuring that players enjoy creating and executing strategies against the game’s AI.
Creating an RTS Game in Unity 2023 will teach you how to install and set up the Unity game engine, create a new 3D project, and build a level editor to make it easier to modify and add maps to a game. The RTS game will start to take shape while you learn to implement different core systems such as melee and ranged battles, unit spawners, camera controls, dynamic mapping generation, basic enemy AI, and the pathfinder algorithm. You’ll also get to grips with implementing command units to perform actions, crafting and producing resources, basic physics and collision detection, and building an RTS game from scratch using C# and the latest features of the Unity game engine.
By the end of this book, you’ll be able to make professional and high-quality end-to-end RTS games using the best practices and techniques from the gaming industry.
What you will learn
- Incorporate the most used design patterns, algorithms, and techniques into your game
- Employ the best coding practices used in the games industry
- Explore the basics of AI and physics to create high-quality games
- Build dynamic and configurable maps to enhance the player experience
- Solve complex problems using the industry standards for Unity and C#
- Create the mechanics present in classic RTS games using a modern approach
- Gain a deep understanding of how to create professional games using Unity
Who this book is for
If you are a beginner game developer who wants to learn the skills to develop a professional RTS game, a programmer looking at career options in the industry who needs to develop a portfolio, or even an indie game developer seeking inspiration for your own games, this book is for you. Professional game developers, programmers with experience in C#, as well as game designers and artists looking for a practical guide to bring their game ideas to life will also find plenty of useful information in this book.