Databricks Lakehouse Platform Cookbook: 100+ recipes for building a scalable and secure Databricks Lakehouse
Analyze, Architect, and Innovate with Databricks Lakehouse
- Create a Lakehouse using Databricks, including ingestion from source to Bronze.
- Refinement of Bronze items to business-ready Silver items using incremental methods.
- Construct Gold items to service the needs of various business requirements.
The Databricks Lakehouse is groundbreaking technology that simplifies data storage, processing, and analysis. This cookbook offers a clear and practical guide to building and optimizing your Lakehouse to make data-driven decisions and drive impactful results.
This definitive guide walks you through the entire Lakehouse journey, from setting up your environment, and connecting to storage, to creating Delta tables, building data models, and ingesting and transforming data. We start off by discussing how to ingest data to Bronze, then refine it to produce Silver. Next, we discuss how to create Gold tables and various data modeling techniques often performed in the Gold layer. You will learn how to leverage Spark SQL and PySpark for efficient data manipulation, apply Delta Live Tables for real-time data processing, and implement Machine Learning and Data Science workflows with MLflow, Feature Store, and AutoML. The book also delves into advanced topics like graph analysis, data governance, and visualization, equipping you with the necessary knowledge to solve complex data challenges.
By the end of this cookbook, you will be a confident Lakehouse expert, capable of designing, building, and managing robust data-driven solutions.
What you will learn
- Design and build a robust Databricks Lakehouse environment.
- Create and manage Delta tables with advanced transformations.
- Analyze and transform data using SQL and Python.
- Build and deploy machine learning models for actionable insights.
- Implement best practices for data governance and security.
Who this book is for
This book is meant for Data Engineers, Data Analysts, Data Scientists, Business intelligence professionals, and Architects who want to go to the next level of Data Engineering using the Databricks platform to construct Lakehouses.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to Databricks Lakehouse
2. Setting-up a Databricks Workspace
3. Connecting to Storage
4. Creating Delta Tables
5. Data Profiling and Modeling in the Lakehouse
6. Extracting from Source and Loading to Bronze
7. Transforming to Create Silver
8. Transforming to Create Gold for Business Purposes
9. Machine Learning and Data Science
10. SQL Analysis
11. Graph Analysis
15. Tips, Tricks, Troubleshooting, and Best Practices