Go for DevOps: Learn how to use the Go language to automate servers, the cloud, Kubernetes, GitHub, Packer, and Terraform
Achieve reliable release automation and get zero troublesome notifications on your release day
- Develop the skills to build command-line tools to control thousands of nodes
- Use Go to create Terraform providers and GitHub actions and extend Kubernetes
- Gain the knowledge to build DevOps workflows that are understandable, scalable, and safe
Go is the go-to language for DevOps libraries and services, and without it, achieving fast and safe automation is a challenge. With the help of Go for DevOps, you’ll learn how to deliver services with ease and safety, becoming a better DevOps engineer in the process.
Some of the key things this book will teach you are how to write Go software to automate configuration management, update remote machines, author custom automation in GitHub Actions, and interact with Kubernetes. As you advance through the chapters, you’ll explore how to automate the cloud using software development kits (SDKs), extend HashiCorp’s Terraform and Packer using Go, develop your own DevOps services with gRPC and REST, design system agents, and build robust workflow systems.
By the end of this Go for DevOps book, you’ll understand how to apply development principles to automate operations and provide operational insights using Go, which will allow you to react quickly to resolve system failures before your customers realize something has gone wrong.
What you will learn
- Understand the basic structure of the Go language to begin your DevOps journey
- Interact with filesystems to read or stream data
- Communicate with remote services via REST and gRPC
- Explore writing tools that can be used in the DevOps environment
- Develop command-line operational software in Go
- Work with popular frameworks to deploy production software
- Create GitHub actions that streamline your CI/CD process
- Write a ChatOps application with Slack to simplify production visibility
Who this book is for
This book is for Ops and DevOps engineers who would like to use Go to develop their own DevOps tooling or integrate custom features with DevOps tools such as Kubernetes, GitHub Actions, HashiCorp Packer, and Terraform. Experience with some type of programming language, but not necessarily Go, is necessary to get started with this book.