Godot 4 Game Development Projects: Build five cross-platform 2D and 3D games using one of the most powerful open source game engines, 2nd Edition
Learn to create interactive cross-platform games such as a 3D Minigolf, a 2D Arcade classic, and much more with the all-new Godot Engine 4.0
- Master the art of developing cross-platform games
- Harness the power of Godot’s node and scene system to design robust and reusable game objects
- Effortlessly and effectively integrate Blender into Godot to create powerful 3D games
The Godot 4 Game Development Projects book introduces the Godot game engine and its feature-rich 4.0 version. With an array of new capabilities, Godot 4.0 is a strong alternative to expensive commercial game engines. If you’re a beginner, this user-friendly book will help you learn game development techniques, while experienced developers will understand how to use this powerful and customizable tool to bring their creative visions to life.
This updated edition consists of five projects with more emphasis on the 3D capabilities of the engine that will help you build on your foundation-level skills by showing you how to create small-scale game projects. Along the way, you’ll gain insights into Godot’s inner workings and discover important game development techniques that you can apply to your own projects.
Using a straightforward, step-by-step approach and practical examples, this Godot book covers everything from the absolute basics to sophisticated game physics, animations, and much more. Upon completing the final project, you’ll have a strong foundation for future success with Godot 4.0 and be ready to develop a variety of games and game systems.
What you will learn
- If you’re new to Godot, get started with the game engine and editor
- Learn about the new features of Godot 4.0
- Build games in 2D and 3D using design and coding best practices
- Use Godot’s node and scene system to design robust, reusable game objects
- Use GDScript, Godot’s built-in scripting language, to create complex game systems
- Implement user interfaces to display information
- Create visual effects to spice up your game
- Publish your game to desktop and mobile platforms
Who this book is for
This book is for game developers at any stage, whether you’re a beginner looking for an introduction or an experienced programmer aiming to delve into game creation using Godot Engine 4.0. It will serve as a valuable resource for newcomers to the realm of game development, while also offering a wealth of insights to experienced developers. Prior programming experience is a prerequisite.