Industrial Automation from Scratch: A hands-on guide to using sensors, actuators, PLCs, HMIs, and SCADA to automate industrial processes
Explore industrial automation and control-related concepts like the wiring and programming of VFDs and PLCs, as well as smart factory (Industry 4.0) with this easy-to-follow guide
Purchase of the print or Kindle book includes a free PDF eBook
- Learn the ins and outs of industrial automation and control by taking a pragmatic approach
- Gain practical insights into automating a manufacturing process using PLCs
- Discover how to monitor and control an industrial process using HMIs and SCADA
Industrial automation has become a popular solution for various industries looking to reduce manual labor inputs and costs by automating processes. This book helps you discover the abilities necessary for excelling in this field.
The book starts with the basics of industrial automation before progressing to the application of switches, sensors, actuators, and motors, and a direct on-line (DOL) starter and its components, such as circuit breakers, contactors, and overload relay. Next, you’ll explore VFDs, their parameter settings, and how they can be wired and programmed for induction motor control. As you advance, you’ll learn the wiring and programming of major industrial automation tools – PLCs, HMIs, and SCADA. You’ll also get to grips with process control and measurements (temperature, pressure, level, and flow), along with analog signal processing with hands-on experience in connecting a 4–20 mA transmitter to a PLC. The concluding chapters will help you grasp various industrial network protocols such as FOUNDATION Fieldbus, Modbus, PROFIBUS, PROFINET, and HART, as well as emerging trends in manufacturing (Industry 4.0) and its empowering technologies (such as IoT, AI, and robotics).
By the end of this book, you’ll have gained a practical understanding of industrial automation concepts for machine automation and control.
What you will learn
- Get to grips with the essentials of industrial automation and control
- Find out how to use industry-based sensors and actuators
- Know about the AC, DC, servo, and stepper motors
- Get a solid understanding of VFDs, PLCs, HMIs, and SCADA and their applications
- Explore hands-on process control systems including analog signal processing with PLCs
- Get familiarized with industrial network and communication protocols, wired and wireless networks, and 5G
- Explore current trends in manufacturing such as smart factory, IoT, AI, and robotics
Who this book is for
This book is for both graduates and undergraduates of electrical, electronics, mechanical, mechatronics, chemical or computer engineering, engineers making a career switch, or anyone looking to pursue their career in the field of industrial automation. The book covers topics ranging from basic to advanced levels, and is a valuable reference for beginner-level electrical, IIoT, automation, process, instrumentation and control, production, and maintenance engineers working in manufacturing and oil and gas industries, among others.