Instant Website Optimization for Retina Displays How-to
- Length: 56 pages
- Edition: 1
- Language: English
- Publisher: Packt Publishing
- Publication Date: 2013-01-24
- ISBN-10: 1849695121
- ISBN-13: 9781849695121
- Sales Rank: #12079457 (See Top 100 Books)
Learning simple techniques which will make your website look stunning on high-definition Retina Displays
- Learn something new in an Instant! A short, fast, focused guide delivering immediate results
- Create high-resolution graphics for websites.
- Learn to create scalable graphics using CSS, SVG, and Canvas.
- Embed fonts from the web for creating unique typography and graphics.
- Learn how to add high-resolution icons and startup images to your web apps
- Implement scripting techniques to replace your images with high-resolution versions
Apple launched its line of high-resolution, retina display products with the iPhone 4 and has continued to integrate the technology into its other products. These beautiful displays take computing to a new level with incredibly sharp text and graphics. As other manufacturers add similar displays to their devices, high-resolution graphics will become the new standard for the apps and websites of the future.
“Instant Website Optimization for Retina Displays How-to” is a comprehensive guide to building a website that will look fantastic on high-resolution displays. Helpful insights and simple instructions walk you through all the various methods of optimizing your site for the latest mobile and desktop devices.
This book begins by covering the basics of retina images and dives right into practical advice so you can start improving your website’s images. It continues building on the basic techniques with simple recipes covering all the tools you’ll need to make an impressive high-resolution website.
We will take a look at the techniques for adding retina backgrounds, sprites, border images, and loading large images only when needed to keep your website running fast. We will create a variety of basic shapes and styles using CSS that can be used instead of graphics in your user interface. We’ll cover scalable image techniques, including using fonts as icons and implementing Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG), which make your graphics look great on any device.
After reading “Instant Website Optimization for Retina Displays How-to” you’ll have the techniques to make creating high-definition websites easy. You’ll have an arsenal of tools for creating graphics on the web at your disposal, leading to superior websites that are beautiful and fast.
What you will learn from this book
- Create retina images, backgrounds, and borders.
- Use CSS to create shapes and buttons for user interfaces.
- Design retina image sprites to speed up your site.
- Embed unique fonts and use them as graphics.
- Make your web apps high-resolution with icons and startup images.
- Create resolution independent images using SVG.
- Use media queries and the image-set property to provide multiple versions of your images.
Filled with practical, step-by-step instructions and clear explanations for the most important and useful tasks. Get the job done and learn as you go. Written in an accessible and practical manner which quickly imparts the knowledge you want to know. As a How-to book it will use applied examples and teach you to optimize websites for retina displays.