Java 9 Cookbook: Solutions to Modular, Functional, Reactive, and Multithreaded programming
A definitive guide to learning the key concepts of modern application development in Java
About This Book
- Learn the latest features of Java 9
- Extend your Java knowledge and take your application to new levels by making it fast, secure, and scalable
- Delve into the intricacies of Modular programming in Java 9
Who This Book Is For
The book is for intermediate to advanced Java programmers who want to make their applications fast, secure, and scalable.
What You Will Learn
- Set up JDK and know the differences in the JDK 9 installation
- Implement OO designs using classes and interfaces
- Manage operating system processes
- Understand the new modular JDK and modular programming
- Create a modular application with clear dependencies
- Build graphical user interfaces using JavaFX
- Use the new HTTP Client API
- Learn about the new diagnostic features in Java 9
- See how to use the new jShell REPL tool
Java is an object-oriented programming language. It is one of the most widely accepted languages because of its design and programming features, particularly in its promise that you can write a program once and run it anywhere.
This cookbook offers a range of software development examples in simple and straightforward Java 9 code, providing step-by-step resources and time-saving methods to help you solve data problems efficiently. Starting with the installation of Java, each recipe addresses a specific problem, with a discussion that explains the solution and offers insight into how it works.
We cover major concepts such as Project Jigsaw and various tools that will enable you to modularize your applications. You will learn new features in the form of recipes that will make your applications modular, secure, and fast.
Style and approach
Each recipe in this book contains a series of complete instructions to perform a core task, plus an explanation of the purpose behind it. Similar methods or further refinements are included with each recipe to provide comprehensive guidance.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Installation and a Sneak Peek into Java 9
Chapter 2: Fast Track to OOP – Classes and Interfaces
Chapter 3: Modular Programming
Chapter 4: Going Functional
Chapter 5: Stream Operations and Pipelines
Chapter 6: Database Programming
Chapter 7: Concurrent and Multithreaded Programming
Chapter 8: Better Management of the OS Process
Chapter 9: GUI Programming Using JavaFX
Chapter 10: RESTful Web Services Using Spring Boot
Chapter 11: Networking
Chapter 12: Memory Management and Debugging
Chapter 13: The Read-Evaluate-Print Loop (REPL) Using JShell
Chapter 14: Scripting Using Oracle Nashorn