JIRA provides issue tracking and project tracking for software development teams to improve code quality and the speed of development.
“JIRA 5.x Development Cookbook” is a one stop resource to master extensions and customizations in JIRA. You will learn how to create your own JIRA plugins, customize the look and feel of your JIRA UI, work with workflows, issues, custom fields, and much more.
“JIRA 5.x Development Cookbook” starts with recipes on simplifying the plugin development process followed by a complete chapter dedicated to the plugin framework to master plugins in JIRA.
Then we will move on to writing custom field plugins to create new field types or custom searchers. We then learn how to program and customize workflows to transform JIRA into a user friendly system.
Reporting support in an application like JIRA is inevitable! With so much data spanning across different projects, issues, and so on, and a lot of planning done for the project, we will cover how to work on reports and gadgets to get customized data according to our needs.
We will then look at customizing the various searching aspects of JIRA such as JQL, searching in plugins, managing filters, and so on.
“JIRA 5.x Development Cookbook” steers towards programming issues, such as creating, editing, and deleting issues, creating new issue operations, managing the various other operations available on issues via the JIRA APIs, and so on.
In the latter half of “JIRA 5.x Development Cookbook”, you will learn how to customize JIRA by adding new tabs, menus, and web items, communicate with JIRA via the REST, SOAP or XML/RPC interfaces, and work with the JIRA database.
The book ends with a chapter on useful and general JIRA recipes.
What you will learn from this book
- Create and deploy your own JIRA plugins
- Deal with custom fields on an issue and program custom field options
- Program and customize workflows to transform JIRA into a user friendly system
- Put together reports that show statistics for particular people, projects, versions, or other fields within issues
- Simplify reporting by writing your own JIRA gadgets, which can be added into a user’s dashboard
- Create, edit, and delete issues
- Master database handling in JIRA –retrieve issue information from the database, extend the database, retrieve custom field details from the database, access database entities from plugins, and more
- Communicate with JIRA via the REST, SOAP, or XML/RPC interfaces
“JIRA 5.x Development Cookbook” is part of Packt’s Cookbook series. A Packt Cookbook contains step-by-step recipes for solutions to the most important problems you face when working with a topic.
Inside this Cookbook you will find:
- A straightforward and easy-to-follow format
- A selection of the most important tasks and problems
- Carefully organized instructions for solving the problem efficiently
- Clear explanations of what you did
- Details for applying the solution to other situations
Who this book is for
If you are a JIRA developer or project manager who wants to fully exploit the exciting capabilities of JIRA, then this is the perfect book for you.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Plugin Development Process
Chapter 2: Understanding the Plugin Framework
Chapter 3: Working with Custom Fields
Chapter 4: Programming Workflows
Chapter 5: Gadgets and Reporting in JIRA
Chapter 6: The Power of JIRA Searching
Chapter 7: Programming Issues
Chapter 8: Customizing the UI
Chapter 9: Remote Access to JIRA
Chapter 10: Dealing with the JIRA Database
Chapter 11: Useful Recipes