Write More Robust and Maintainable Android Apps with Kotlin
“Peter Sommerhoff takes a practical approach to teaching Kotlin by providing a larger set of code listings that demonstrate language features and by guiding readers through the development of two Android apps step by step. . . . Peter finds a good balance between what is essential and what can be left to readers, so this book is an efficient yet comprehensible source for starting programming with Kotlin.”
–Bernhard Rumpe, Professor of Software Engineering, RWTH Aachen University
The Kotlin language brings state-of-the-art programming techniques and constructs to Android development. Kotlin for Android App Development will help you rapidly understand Kotlin’s principles and techniques, apply Kotlin in production app development, integrate Kotlin with existing Java code, and plan a migration to Kotlin, if you choose.
If you have at least basic programming experience (with any language), Peter Sommerhoff’s well-crafted overview and examples will help you get quickly up-to-speed with the Kotlin language, its constructs, and its advanced functional and object-oriented capabilities.
Once you’ve mastered these foundations, Sommerhoff walks you through two complete app development projects, introducing best practices and emerging patterns for writing code that’s robust, concise, readable, and highly performant.
- Understand Kotlin’s goals, principles, advantages, design, and constructs
- Take full advantage of functional programming in the Kotlin environment
- Write more concise and reusable code using Kotlin’s object-oriented features
- Interoperate with existing Java code, and plan a migration to Kotlin
- Use coroutines to efficiently handle concurrency
- Capture data via third-party APIs, map it to internal data representations, and present it to users
- Master best practices for architecting Kotlin Android apps
- Improve productivity and readability by creating simple domain-specific languages in Kotlin
Register your book for convenient access to downloads, updates, and/or corrections as they become available. See inside book for details.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Introducing Kotlin
Chapter 2 Diving Into Kotlin
Chapter 3 Functional Programming In Kotlin
Chapter 4 Object Orientation In Kotlin
Chapter 5 Interoperability With Java
Chapter 6 Concurrency In Kotlin
Chapter 7 Android App Development With Kotlin: Kudoo App
Chapter 8 Android App Development With Kotlin: Nutrilicious
Chapter 9 Kotlin Dsls
Chapter 10 Migrating To Kotlin
Appendix A Further Resources