Start developing awesome web applications with this friendly, practical guide to the Play! Framework
- While driving in Java, tasks are also presented in Scala – a great way to be introduced to this amazing language.
- Create a fully-fledged, collaborative web application – starting from ground zero; all layers are presented in a pragmatic way.
- Gain the advantages associated with developing a fully integrated web framework.
The Learning Play! Framework 2 has been created for web developers that are building web applications. The core idea is to focus on the HTTP features and to enable them through a simplification lens. Building a web application no longer requires a configuration phase, an environment setup, or a long development lifecycle – it’s integrated!.
Learning Play! Framework 2 will enable any web developers to create amazing web applications taking advantage of the coolest features. It’s the fastest way to dive into Play!, focusing on the capabilities by using them in a sample application. Although essentially Java based code, a Scala version is presented as well – giving an opportunity to see some Scala in action.
After setting up the machine and learning some Scala, you will construct an application which builds from static to dynamic, before introducing a database.
Then we’ll focus on how data can be consumed and rendered in several ways. This will enable some real time communication through WebSocket and Server-Sent Event – on both server and client sides.
The book will end with testing and deployment, which completes any web development project.
What you will learn from this book
- What’s great about the new framework and on which projects it works best.
- Set up a full installation including the framework itself but also the development environment.
- Build a simple site or even a webapp using the server-side and templating system.
- Store data in a relational database, using Ebean in Java and Anorm in Scala.
- Discover the reactive way of handling data (back and forth with a client).
- Test all layers of your application using the integration of Play! 2 with the most famous testing frameworks – even on the client-side.
- Deploy your application on the cloud, choosing Heroku as an example, but also on Cloudbees which enables a continuous integration.
A strong focus is placed on explanation by example; even with the amount of amazing capabilities of Play! 2, they will be gathered in a single application. At the end of this book, the reader will have a fully-fledged application using the basic and advanced features of Play! 2.
Who this book is written for
Readers must be interested in the Web in general; specifically using the HTTP between a browser and a server to create blazing projects! Java skills are beneficial but not necessary since Learning Play! Framework 2 is not J2EE based but introduces a simple, neat, and completely integrated version; the prerequisites are almost none.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Getting Started with Play! Framework 2
Chapter 2: Scala – Taking the First Step
Chapter 3: Templating Easily with Scala
Chapter 4: Handling Data on the Server Side
Chapter 5: Dealing with Content
Chapter 6: Moving to Real-time Web Applications
Chapter 7: Web Services – At Your Disposal
Chapter 8: Smashing All Test Layers
Chapter 9: Code Once, Deploy Everywhere
Appendix A: Introducing Play! Framework 2
Appendix B: Moving Forward
Appendix C: Materials