- Your one-stop guide to mastering the advanced concepts in PostgreSQL with ease
- Master query optimization, replication, and high availability with PostgreSQL
- Extend the functionalities of PostgreSQL to suit your organizational needs with minimum effort
PostgreSQL is an open source database used for handling large datasets (Big Data) and as a JSON document database. It also has applications in the software and web domains. This book will enable you to build better PostgreSQL applications and administer databases more efficiently.
We begin by explaining the advanced database design concepts in PostgreSQL 9.6, along with indexing and query optimization. You will also see how to work with event triggers and perform concurrent transactions and table partitioning, along with exploring SQL and server tuning. We will walk you through implementing advanced administrative tasks such as server maintenance and monitoring, replication, recovery and high availability, and much more. You will understand the common and not-so-common troubleshooting problems and how you can overcome them.
By the end of this book, you will have an expert-level command of the advanced database functionalities and will be able to implement advanced administrative tasks with PostgreSQL.
What you will learn
- Get to grips with the advanced features of PostgreSQL 9.6 and handle advanced SQL
- Make use of the indexing features in PostgreSQL and fine-tune the performance of your queries
- Work with the stored procedures and manage backup and recovery
- Master the replication and failover techniques
- Troubleshoot your PostgreSQL instance for solutions to the common and not-so-common problems
- Learn how to migrate your database from MySQL and Oracle to PostgreSQL without any hassle
About the Author
Hans-Jurgen Schonig has 18 years of experience with PostgreSQL. He is the CEO of a PostgreSQL consulting and support company called Cybertec Schonig & Schonig GmbH (www.postgresql-support.de). It has successfully served countless customers around the globe.
Before founding Cybertec Schonig & Schonig GmbH in 2000, he worked as a database developer at a private research company that focused on the Austrian labor market, where he primarily worked on data mining and forecast models. He has also written several books about PostgreSQL.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Postgresql Overview
Chapter 2. Understanding Transactions And Locking
Chapter 3. Making Use Of Indexes
Chapter 4. Handling Advanced Sql
Chapter 5. Log Files And System Statistics
Chapter 6. Optimizing For Good Query Performance
Chapter 7. Writing Stored Procedures
Chapter 8. Managing Postgresql Security
Chapter 9. Handling Backup And Recovery
Chapter 10. Making Sense Of Backups And Replication
Chapter 11. Deciding On Useful Extensions
Chapter 12. Troubleshooting Postgresql
Chapter 13. Migrating To Postgresql