NOTE: This book is the printed, Silverlight-focused edition of Programming Windows Phone 7, which is available as a free eBook from the Microsoft Download Center. A Microsoft XNA®-focused edition is also available for sale in print (ISBN 978-0-7356-5669-7). The Microsoft eBook covers both Silverlight and XNA in one volume.
Bring your app ideas to life—with guidance from a Windows programming legend
Get started building your own apps and utilities for Windows Phone 7—expertly guided by award-winning author Charles Petzold. Focusing on Silverlight for Windows Phone 7 and the C# language, you’ll learn how to extend your existing skills to this new mobile platform—mastering the core tools and techniques you need to get productive quickly. As always, Charles brings a unique combination of pragmatism and inspiration to his instruction—along with a wealth of hands-on examples.
Discover how to:
- Customize page navigation and layout
- Know when to use code vs. XAML markup
- Capture and embed bitmaps, balancing performance issues
- Support multi-touch input—including tap, drag, flick, and pinch
- Work with accelerometer and location services
- Experiment with panoramic and pivot controls
- Create effects using built-in or custom animations
- Manage state, tombstoning, data-binding, and storage
- Write your own templates and custom controls
- Test-drive your app on Windows Phone Emulator
Get code samples on the Web
- For system requirements, see the Introduction.