Multiplayer Game Development with Unreal Engine 5: Create compelling multiplayer games with C++, Blueprints, and Unreal Engine’s networking features
Discover Unreal Engine 5’s networking techniques to create scalable and fully functional multiplayer game experiences
- Design a captivating multiplayer game using networking techniques from this illustrated guide
- Understand how to use the Unreal Engine networking system with C++ and Blueprints
- Carefully plan and develop an online experience from start to finish
- Purchase of the print or Kindle book includes a free PDF eBook
If you’re fascinated by the immersive gaming experiences that enable multiple users to engage in collaborative or competitive gameplay, this Unreal Engine 5 game development book is for you.
In this book, you’ll learn the foundational principles behind multiplayer games. Starting with a sample project, you’ll learn how to set up a networked system and make it work. Once the prototype of the project is functional, you’ll start adding game logic, including obstacles and AI opponents, to heighten the challenges and engagement, offering a captivating experience for players. Next, you’ll learn how to debug and optimize the project, before finally deploying the game build and integrating it with cloud services such as the Epic Online Services system.
By the end of this book, you’ll have the confidence to develop and manage multiplayer experiences using the Unreal Engine environment, taking your newfound programming skills in your upcoming projects.
What you will learn
- Get to grips with the basics of multiplayer game development
- Understand the main elements of a networked level
- Explore Unreal multiplayer features such as replication, RPCs, relevancy, and roles
- Debug and optimize code for improved game performance
- Deploy the game on LAN or online platforms
- Use Epic Online Services to elevate the player experience
Who this book is for
If you are a game programmer, particularly an Unreal Engine developer, with little or no knowledge of video game networking systems and a passion for multiplayer games, this book will help you explore the subject in depth. Developers skilled in other game engines will find this book useful for understanding the principles of the Unreal multiplayer system, however, basic knowledge of Unreal Engine and C++ is strongly recommended.