Develop, configure, and deploy Java cloud-native applications using Payara Micro. This book demystifies Java cloud-native application development using standard Microprofile APIs and covers Payara-specific features such as automatic clustering and application initialization performance improvements. You will learn how to improve startup performance by taking advantage of class data sharing, and configure cloud-native applications via standard development tools such as Maven and Gradle. The book also clarifies how to develop functionality necessary in a cloud environment, such as health checks and request tracing, using MicroProfile APIs.
The book begins by showing how to develop microservices using RESTful web services, followed by how to create microservice clients using MicroProfile and the REST client API. Dependency Injection via Jakarta Context and Dependency Injection (CDI) is also covered. Various approaches to application configuration are covered as well, including property files, environment variables, and system properties. You will learn to configure fault tolerance and high availability, generate system and custom application metrics, and generate health checks to automatically improve overall application health. You will know how to trace the flow of a request across service boundaries with OpenTracing. You will be able to make future maintenance easily through generating documentation, including how to automatically update documentation as your code is updated. Additionally, you will learn how to secure cloud applications and to automatically cluster applications and improve application startup performance.
What You Will Learn
- Develop microservices using standard Java APIs
- Implement cloud functionality such as request tracing and health checks
- Deploy applications as thin archives and as uber archives
- Configure applications via Maven and Gradle
- Generate custom metrics for capacity planning and proactive discovery of issues
- Implement features in support of high availability and fault tolerance
- Secure your applications with Jason Web Tokens
- Take advantage of Payara’s own cloud platform for easy deployment
Who This Book Is For
Java developers who wish to develop cloud-native applications and microservices, and Java EE application developers who wish to transition to developing cloud-native applications that are lightweight and easily deployed