Practical Cloud-Native Java Development with MicroProfile: Develop and deploy scalable, resilient, and reactive cloud-native applications using MicroProfile 4.1
Written by leading MicroProfile experts, this book provides you with best practices for building enterprise-grade cloud-native applications using MicroProfile 4.1 and running them on Open Liberty with Docker, Kubernetes, and Istio
- Apply your knowledge of MicroProfile APIs to develop cloud-native applications
- Use MicroProfile Health to provide the startup, liveness, and readiness status of your enterprise application
- Build an end-to-end stock trader project and containerize it to deploy to the cloud with Istio interaction
In this cloud-native era, most applications are deployed in a cloud environment that is public, private, or a combination of both. To ensure that your application performs well in the cloud, you need to build an application that is cloud native. MicroProfile is one of the most popular frameworks for building cloud-native applications, and fits well with Kubernetes. As an open standard technology, MicroProfile helps improve application portability across all of MicroProfile’s implementations.
Practical Cloud-Native Java Development with MicroProfile is a comprehensive guide that helps you explore the advanced features and use cases of a variety of Jakarta and MicroProfile specifications. You’ll start by learning how to develop a real-world stock trader application, and then move on to enhancing the application and adding day-2 operation considerations. You’ll gradually advance to packaging and deploying the application. The book demonstrates the complete process of development through to deployment and concludes by showing you how to monitor the application’s performance in the cloud.
By the end of this book, you will master MicroProfile’s latest features and be able to build fast and efficient cloud-native applications.
What you will learn
- Understand best practices for applying the 12-Factor methodology while building cloud-native applications
- Create client-server architecture using MicroProfile Rest Client and JAX-RS
- Configure your cloud-native application using MicroProfile Config
- Secure your cloud-native application with MicroProfile JWT
- Become well-versed with running your cloud-native applications in Open Liberty
- Grasp MicroProfile Open Tracing and learn how to use Jaeger to view trace spans
- Deploy Docker containers to Kubernetes and understand how to use ConfigMap and Secrets from Kubernetes
Who this book is for
This book is for Java application developers and architects looking to build efficient applications using an open standard framework that performs well in the cloud. DevOps engineers who want to understand how cloud-native applications work will also find this book useful. A basic understanding of Java, Docker, Kubernetes, and cloud is needed to get the most out of this book.
Table of Contents
- What is Cloud-Native Application
- How does MicroProfile fit in?
- Introduce the stock trader cloud-native application
- Building Cloud-Native Applications
- Enhancing Cloud-Native Applications
- Observing and Monitoring the Cloud-Native Applications
- MicroProfile Ecosystem with Docker, Kubernetes and Istio
- Step by Step Stock Trader Development
- Deployment and Day 2 operations
- Reactive Cloud-Native Applications
- MicroProfile GraphQL
- MicroProfile Future