Everything you need to immediately get the most from Windows 7
This essential and unique book delves into the various elements that Microsoft fixed from Vista and investigates the new features that Microsoft added in response to user requests. Veteran author John Paul Mueller shows you how to work with security policies as well as manage the Windows Firewall in every way conceivable—both of which are topics you won’t find anywhere else. In addition, he presents a clear, procedural approach to working with trigger-start services, details how to make the User Account Control part of an application, and shows how to use Group Policy Objects to work with the Windows Firewall. Ultimately, you’ll discover how Windows 7 provides practical, usable functionality, just waiting for you to exploit.
Professional Windows 7 Development Guide:
- Walks you through picking files directly from pinned applications, checking on application status, and more, simply by viewing the Taskbar
- Discusses the new Ribbon functionality and shows how to use it effectively
- Examines libraries and looks at how they provide a centralized method of managing data
- Includes complete Windows PowerShell coverage with all of the Windows 7 updates
- Offers an in-depth look at 64-bit programming and parallel programming
- Addresses working with power management
- Reviews how you can create applications that automatically restart and recover lost data when there is a crash
Wrox Professional guides are planned and written by working programmers to meet the real-world needs of programmers, developers, and IT professionals. Focused and relevant, they address the issues technology professionals face every day. They provide examples, practical solutions, and expert education in new technologies, all designed to help programmers do a better job.
wrox.com Programmer Forums
Join our Programmer to Programmer forums to ask and answer programming questions about this book, join discussions on the hottest topics in the industry, and connect with fellow programmers from around the world.
Take advantage of free code samples from this book, as well as code samples from hundreds of other books, all ready to use.
Find articles, ebooks, sample chapters, and tables of contents for hundreds of books, and more reference resources on programming topics that matter to you.