SAP HANA Starter
- Length: 66 pages
- Edition: 1
- Language: English
- Publisher: Packt Publishing
- Publication Date: 2012-11-21
- ISBN-10: 1849688680
- ISBN-13: 9781849688680
- Sales Rank: #3794371 (See Top 100 Books)
Everything you need to know to be able to build your first SAP HANA standalone application!
- Understand key principles behind SAP HANA
- Discover the main features of the SAP HANA Studio for application design
- Create a reporting application on the SAP HANA platform
- Visualize your reporting data in Microsoft Excel
SAP HANA is SAP’s in-memory database technology, and the focal point of their next generation strategy. Using column-based storage to provide highly compressed and rapidly accessed data, a SAP HANA application can be several hundred times faster than the same application on previous generation database technology.
SAP HANA Starter is a hands-on book, taking you step-by-step through the creation of your first SAP HANA application. You will discover the building blocks that SAP HANA provides, and use them to create a robust reporting application. More advanced features are shown, allowing you to transform your reporting application into a yearly sales increase simulator. Finally, you’ll learn how to access your SAP HANA application from Microsoft Excel.
Using easy to understand examples and logical progression, you will build your first SAP HANA application – a sales amount simulator, from scratch.
Starting with the creation of tables in the database, and using the modeling building blocks provided by the SAP HANA Studio, you will first see how to build a reporting application on these tables, and then extend this application to allow sales increase simulation, finally making the data available to others in Microsoft Excel.
What you will learn from this book
- Understanding the concepts behind the SAP HANA System – what makes it different
- Installation and configuration of the SAP HANA Studio
- Creation of database tables and attribute and analytic views – the building blocks of any SAP HANA application
- Development of graphical calculation views for more advanced reporting needs
- Use of calculated attributes and measures in reporting views to manipulate data on the fly
- Addition of filters and user prompts to your application for more dynamic output
- Integration with reporting tools such as Microsoft Excel using MDX
- Discover some of the most useful websites and blogs documenting SAP HANA
Written as a practical guide, SAP Hana Starter will show you all you need to know to build your first reporting application utilizing SAP’s new in-memory database technology.
Who this book is written for
SAP HANA Starter is aimed at SAP consultants and users of competing database technologies, as well as anyone curious as to what all the fuss concerning SAP HANA is about. No previous SAP ERP, BW, or database programming experience is necessary, though notions of how SQL and table joins work will be advantageous. Access to a SAP HANA box is necessary to follow the examples locally.