Technology Operating Models for Cloud and Edge: Create your purpose-built distributed operating model for public, hybrid, multicloud, and edge
Align your operating model with your organization’s goals and enable leadership, culture, engineering, and operations to tame the complexities of the distributed future
Purchase of the print or Kindle book includes a free PDF eBook
- Get hands-on with creating your operating model across on-premises, cloud, and edge
- Learn how to group, construct, and scope operating model dimensions
- Tackle operating model complexities like architecture, stakeholder management, platform operations, compliance, security, and technology selection
Cloud goals, such as faster time to market, lower total cost of ownership (TCO), capex reduction, self-service enablement, and complexity reduction are important, but organizations often struggle to achieve the desired outcomes. With edge computing gaining momentum across industries and making it possible to move workloads seamlessly between cloud and edge locations, organizations need working recipes to find ways of extracting the most value out of their cloud and edge estate.
This book provides a practical way to build a strategy-aligned operating model while considering various related factors such as culture, leadership, team structures, metrics, intrinsic motivators, team incentives, tenant experience, platform engineering, operations, open source, and technology choices. Throughout the chapters, you’ll discover how single, hybrid, or multicloud architectures, security models, automation, application development, workload deployments, and application modernization can be reutilized for edge workloads to help you build a secure yet flexible technology operating model. The book also includes a case study which will walk you through the operating model build process in a step-by-step way.
By the end of this book, you’ll be able to build your own fit-for-purpose distributed technology operating model for your organization in an open culture way.
What you will learn
- Get a holistic view of technology operating models and linked organization goals, strategy, and teams
- Overcome challenges of extending tech operating models to distributed cloud and edge environments
- Discover key architectural considerations in building operating models
- Explore the benefits of using enterprise-ready open-source products
- Understand how open hybrid cloud and modern dev and ops practices improve outcomes
Who this book is for
If you are a cloud architect, solutions architect, DevSecOps or platform engineering manager, CTO, CIO, or IT decision maker tasked with leading cloud and edge computing initiatives, creating architectures and enterprise capability models, aligning budgets, or showing your board the value of your technology investments, then this book is for you. Prior knowledge of cloud computing, application development, and edge computing concepts will help you get the most out of this book.