The VC Field Guide: Fundamentals of Venture Capital
- Length: 224 pages
- Edition: 1
- Language: English
- Publisher: Wiley
- Publication Date: 2023-05-02
- ISBN-10: 1394180659
- ISBN-13: 9781394180653
- Sales Rank: #274815 (See Top 100 Books)
The Venture Capital Investment Framework
Venture capital is the economic engine that drives entrepreneurship and innovation through capital investments, board membership, advice, and relevant introductions to employees & customers.
Despite the outsized importance of venture capital, the inner workings remain hidden. Venture is still a mentor-led industry and it is an industry where you have to do a lot of self-education—you have to learn by doing, and you have to get up to speed quickly.
Author William Lin spent over a decade in venture capital, starting in an entry-level position, helping to start a leading VC firm from scratch, and eventually becoming Managing Partner. In The VC Field Guide: Fundamentals of Venture Capital, Lin shares his unique framework, the Venture Capital Investment Framework, to help any venture capitalist, entrepreneur, or investor make better startup investment decisions, quicker. Lin delivers an incisive and practical handbook for the world of venture capital. You’ll learn about the industry, how to break into it, and discover the art of investing in startups, and more, including:
- How VC deals are analyzed, vetted, and made
- Which questions experienced and successful venture capital investors ask startup founders when making investment decisions, and why those questions matter
- The venture capital mindset that dominates the thinking of the most prominent venture capital investors
- The best ways to begin a career in venture capital and tips on building your career
- Key differences between multi-stage and boutique firms and what it means for entrepreneurs
- The different factors VCs use to evaluate early-stage versus late-stage companies
If you are interested in being close to company creation and innovation while building a career as an investor, entrepreneur, or startup customer, this book is for you. If you are interested in directly impacting economic growth, innovation, and the founders, employees, vendors, and communities that support the broader entrepreneurial ecosystem, this book is for you.