Discover the Maya, Inca, and Aztec empires with this children’s book full of photographs and illustrations, fascinating facts, and engaging challenges—from the creators of DKfindout.com, DK’s free online resource for kids.
Did you know that the Aztecs created a floating city? Or that the Incas preserved their dead emperors as mummies? Find out why!
Perfect for budding historians who want a highly visual reference book to increase their knowledge of the Americas’ empires, DK findout! Maya, Inca, and Aztec is sure to inspire the next amazing school report or project. Inside, author Brian Williams details these incredible civilizations and what makes them unique.
With this DK findout! book, you will:
- Read about each civilization’s daily life, including where they lived, what they ate, and what they believed
- Explore the cities of Chichén Itzá, Machu Picchu, and Tenochtitlán
- See how Inca society was shaped like a pyramid, with the emperor at the top and slaves at the bottom
- Discover how the Maya and Aztecs turned cacao beans into chocolate for the first time
- Hear from real-life archaeologist Dr. Diane Davies how she digs for clues to the past
- and find out much, much more!
The DK findout! series of kids books helps children become experts on their favorite nonfiction subjects, from dinosaurs and ancient civilizations to space, coding, and cutting-edge technology. Learn more about history—and everything else—at www.dkfindout.com, the award-winning free educational website.
Table of Contents
4 Three civilizations
14 Daily life
24 Machu Picchu
28 Inca mythology
34 Chichen Itza
36 Interview with…
38 Art and technology
44 Ball game
50 Inca gold
52 Under attack
54 Where are they now?
56 Then and now
58 Facts and figures